Thursday, October 25, 2007

OPEN LETTER TO BLOGGER FRIENDS

Greetings from India.

My name is Sanjay Jha and I am a practicing filmmaker in Bollywood, India.

I deeply relate Brazil with India for its diverse multicultural and multiethnic society. Brazil's rich cultural tradition that extends to its literature dating back to the 16th century and its large contribution to the genres of classical music fascinates me.

Presently, I am intrigued by the Portuguese history that dates back to the beginning of the nineteenth century. Particularly, the period portraying the struggle for independence by Pedro I.

As a student of cinema, I wish to craft a documentary of struggle during that period. The film particularly investigates the policies and political stunts practiced by Pedro I for acquiring independence.

Pedro (whose actual name was "Pedro de Alcântara Francisco Antônio João Carlos Xavier de Paula Miguel Rafael Joaquim José Gonzaga Pascoal Cipriano Serafim de Bragança e Bourbom") declared Brazil's independence near the Ipiranga River in São Paulo. Tearing the Portuguese blue and white insignia from his uniform, Pedro drew his sword, and swore: "By my blood, by my honor, and by God: I will make Brazil free." Their motto, he said, would be Independência ou Morte, Independence or Death! This statement is known as the Grito do Ipiranga [or the cry from the Ipiranga]... Pedro became Dom Pedro I, the first emperor of Brazil ruled for nine years.

I have been undertaking extensive research on the topic and have used primary and secondary level of research to accumulate information about it to a considerable measure. I have also read 'Every Inch a King: A Biography of Dom Pedro I, First Emperor of Brazil'.

However, I have a series of questions that still remain unanswered. This quest has inspired me to write this letter and to take this journey of film making further. I am looking for references of the letters of Dom Pedro I.

Precisely, I am looking for original handwritten letters by pedro I during his reign. Kindly, inform me if your museum/collections/library has any appropriate collections or information regarding the same. I am also willing to travel on my own to take a look and study them as research reference for my film.

Your help will be appreciated and acknowledged in my film.

Kindly find some time to respond to my query.

I look forward to hearing from you.Sincerely.

Sanjay Jha

1 comment:

D said...

Please contact me escritorbr@yahoo.com. I am a geographer, historian and doctor in pedagogy (social sciences education).
I do thank you very for writing on the Brazilian Monarchy and Dom Pedro I.
Great to know you are doing a movie on Pedro I. Isabel of Brazil his grand daughter and empress-in-waiting was the first woman with political power in the AMERICAS.

The National Library of Brazil in Rio de Janeiro own a lot primary sources on Dom Pedro I, Dom Pedro II and Isabel of Brazil (Princess Isabel).

Please visit my World History BLOG: http://edworldhistory.blogspot.com/

Best wishes,

Dr. Ed. B. DaSilva